We provide professional advice on issues pertaining to Customs, Sales Tax, Federal Excise and WTO both on retainer-ship and case-to-case basis. Services extended by us on these issues cover a wide range of areas including the following:
A. CUSTOMS LAW & PROCEDURE
- Advice regarding interpretational matters pertaining to:
- Classification of Goods
- Valuation of Goods
- Various Concessionary Schemes (e.g. Duty Drawback, DTRE, Manufacturing
- Bond/Warehousing, Export Oriented Units (EOU) Scheme)
- Import / Export Policy Orders
- International Trade Agreements
Advice on Customs matters requiring interaction with Federal Board of Revenue (FBR), Engineering Development Board (EDB), Ministry of Commerce (MoC) (e.g. disputes regarding list of locally manufactured goods)
Audit of Goods Declarations (GDs) filed by Clearing Agents as and when desired by the clients to verify whether correct rate of duty / Sales Tax were applied.
B. SALES TAX LAW & PROCEDURE:
- Advise clients on matters pertaining to Sales Tax Registration / De-Registration, Input-Output Tax Adjustment, Zero-Rating, Exemptions, Refund, Special Procedures, Sales Tax on Servicesetc).
- Annual audit of Sales Tax record to pinpoint inadequacy, if any, to obviate chances of audit objection by Sales Tax officials / auditors.
- Preparation of draft reply to Audit Observations/ objection of Sales Tax department.
- Advise clients on maintenance of Sales Tax record, e-filing, Debit Credit Notes, etc.
- Advise clients on matters requiring approval/ intervention of officers at Large Taxpayers Unit (LTU) / Regional Tax Offices (RTOs) / Sind Revenue Board (SRB).
- Advise clients on Sales Tax on Services.
C. FEDERAL EXCISE LAW & PROCEDURE:
- Advice regarding matters pertaining to Federal Excise Law / Rules (eg. Adjustment of FED, Zero-Rating & Drawback, Special Excise Duty (SED), etc).
- Assisting the clients in drafting letters addressed to FBR / Collectorate of Federal Excise in any matter concerning Federal Excise.
D. WORLD TRADE ORGANIZATION (W.T.O.)
- Inform clients regarding the enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) w.r.t TRIPS Agreement (e.g. Copyrights, Industrial designs, Trademarks, etc.)
- Advise the clients on Anti-dumping law, Safeguard Measures and Countervailing Duties
- Provide input regarding the Dispute Resolution Mechanism of WTO
- Reply to clients' queries on the implication of other WTO Agreements (e.g. ATC, Agriculture, Phyto-sanitary measures, etc.)
- Give input to clients on the implication of the Agreement on Trade Related Investment Measures (TRIMS) and its impact on locally produced goods
- Take up cases of tariff anomaly, tariff protection, antidumping, safeguard action and counterfeiting duties with the National Tariff Commission (NTC), Federal Board of Revenue (FBR), Engineering Development Board (EDB) and Ministry of Commerce (MoC) in collaboration with our associates based in Islamabad.
E. GENERAL SERVICES:
- Circulation of latest notifications / circulars on matters pertaining to Customs, Sales Tax, Federal Excise and WTO with comments thereon.
- Represent Clients during meetings with officials at Custom House, Port Qasim, AFU, LTU, RTO and Sales Tax House
- Vetting of letters addressed to indirect tax authorities on indirect tax matters
- Advice clients on matters warranting intervention of Ministry of Commerce, National Tariff Commission, Engineering Development Board, F.B.R., F.T.O. etc.
F. ADDITIONAL SERVICES:
- We defend cases at:
- Collectorates of Adjudication;
- Collector (Appeals) / Commissioner of (Appeals);
- Custom Appellate Tribunals;
- Inland Revenue Appellate Tribunals;
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee (ADRC); &
- High Courts of Pakistan.
in respect of any Show-Cause Notice, Assessment Order, Order-in-Original, Order-in-Appeal, Valuation Advice / Ruling, Writ Petitions, References against Orders of the Appellate Tribunals etc.
- Cases of Mal-Administration are also taken up with the Federal Tax Ombudsman (F.T.O.) on behalf of clients.
- Sales Tax Pre-Audit / Scrutiny of Import/Export Documents is also carried out to avoid Audit Objections, if any.
- Help obtain approval of Input-Out Coefficients / annual quota approvals from LTU / Sales Tax Collectorates under DTRE / other concessionary schemes.
- Under the first arrangement, the advisory services mentioned above from â??A to Eâ?? are provided whereas â??Additional Servicesâ?? mentioned at â??Fâ?? are dealt separately and the same do not fall within the scope / ambit of services provided under this mode of retainer-ship arrangement.
- Under the second arrangement, however, all the services mentioned above from â??A to Fâ?? are provided except defending of cases at High Courts, which is dealt on case to case basis.
G. SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS:
a. AUDIT OF THE SALES TAX RECORD:
Apart from aforementioned services, we also conduct Audit of the Sales Tax Record as a separate assignment. Those business entities who only want their Sales Tax record to be thoroughly scrutinized in order to rectify discrepancies and obviate chances of Audit Objections, if any. Our professional team would carry out detailed scrutiny of the Sales Tax Record keeping in view the Audit Parameters of the Sales Tax Department and on completion of the assignment would give its comprehensive report pinpointing thereby discrepancies, if any, and suggesting corrective measures as per Sales Tax Law.
b. SCRUTINY OF THE IMPORT / EXPORT DOCUMENTS:
Thorough inspection of Import / Export documents including Goods Declarations, Proforma / Commercial Invoices, Bills of Lading, Letters of Credit etc.is also undertaken by us as a separate assignment. Purpose of this scrutiny is to check whether:
- Correct HS Codes have been applied;
- Rates of duty / taxes have been correctly applied;
- Description of the goods on Proforma / Commercial Invoice conforms to the
- Description on Goods Declaration;
- Description of the goods on GD conforms to the Tariff Description;
- Tariff Concession, if applicable, has been availed;
- Benefit of SROs, if available, has been correctly claimed;
- Import / Export documents conform to the requirements of Customs law.
c. HOLDING OF SEMINARS / WORKSHOPS AND TRAINING SESSIONS:
We conduct seminars and workshops and hold training sessions on Customs, Sales Tax and WTO laws & agreements.
d. EVALUATION OF BUSINESS PROCESSES AND RE-ENGINEERING THEREOF:
We also undertake projects / assignments relating to business process analysis / gap analysis and recommend business process re-engineering.